Saturday, May 16, 2009

Find the Birdies - a Picture Puzzle for You!

In the picture above, there are 3 birds. Can you find them and name what kind they are?


The next picture is one of my wild Columbine plants. These are all through our woods. I've seen other colors in the garden centers for sale. This is the only color I have found on our property. This particular one was moved when we first bought our house - I wanted it in my 'circle garden near the main entryway.
And next, for you bird and nest lovers - - - 3 birds built nests under the floor of our covered porch! I don't know what kind of birds they are - they don't look like barn swallows to me - but they move so fast, it is hard to tell for certain!

I snapped these photos, and then - I risked life and limb to avoid some scarey spiders, and then I took some shots of the inside of the nests while mommas were away! Do you see what I see??

They aren't the clearest shots - the flash was needed, and I had the camera right up over the nests - so.... this is what we have! Egg-citing, isn't it?? I'm going to keep a lookout to see what kind of birds these are - they have used grass, mud, moss, and some old plastic netting that can be found around oranges and other produce, of all things. Not from OUR discards - I don't purchase anything in those types of bags - harmful to wildlife!

Have a great rest of the weekend!

6 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I think that one is a golden finch, but the other two, I don't recognize. Neat photos, and interesting nests, with eggs!
Nice entry!

Barbara Jean said...

so cool!!!

Will look for the birds in the first pic, but have no clue about what kind they are as i do not know about birds.
fun to look though.

blessings,
Barbara jean

PS Sure do enjoy all your visits. =0)

Barbara Jean said...

OK I saw them.
Do I win a prize??
=0)))

Have a super weekend.

barbara jean

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I found all three birds, it looks to me like a chicadee in the feeder, a goldfinch by one, and then in the upper right, IMO the prettiest of the three, maybe an oriole? We have so few birdies out here and I can't recall my Midwestern birds very well -- but they were sure enjoying the food you put out!

I don't know what built the nests. I agree, they don't look at all like swallow nests.

Chatty Crone said...

I love birds. I saw two. We used to have a bird feeder and got almost every bird that was indigenous to the south here. I may do that again - this reminds me of the good ole days and maybe a type of pet my grandson could have but not have. Good idea!

My Journey to Hope said...

We have a bird's nest in our backyard right now. I also wanted to invite you to stop by my blog and enter my Birthday Giveaway!

-Michelle