Monday, January 11, 2010

Tuesdays' Show and Tail - No Back Talk!

It's time for Tuesdays' Show & Tail' over at Angela's West Virginia Treasures! If you have a cute story and picture of a pet, or any furry (or non-furry) friend, you are welcome to join in! Check her blog for the rules, post away - and thanks, Angela, for being our host!This is a photo of Mr. Wonderful and Presto3. You may have seen this photo before. Presto3 is a Lovebird, and Lovebirds communicate with squawks and whistles and squeaks - NO Back Talking! There are some who claim they have been able to teach their Lovebirds to speak...I have not tried. I do know male parakeets are able to learn, and larger parrots. I have yet to see a Lovebird that can talk. Do you know of any? If you do, tell me - it would be great to hear of any out there!

Presto3 has been fairly friendly in all of his 2.5 years. He does not prefer to be hand fed, and ignores the foods that my previous Lovebirds have enjoyed. He loves to perch on Mr. Wonderful's spectacles and watch the Boob Tube in the evenings - it's his favorite spot to park!
FYI, it is possible to tell if a bird is right or left handed (footed)! When you extend your finger for it to "step up", the foot it prefers to use first to perform the feat is how you find out! So now, you can impress your friends and relatives with that little tidbit of information! By the way - - - Presto3 is Right Handed!

12 comments:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

What a pretty boy!

I think I have heard of lovebirds talking. Someone in my hometown had a talking Myna, too.

I think my cat Ludwig is left-pawed...lol...

Angela said...

Hey ClassyChassy!

Presto3 is a beautiful bird! I have seen the picture of him perched upon Mr. Wonderful's glasses. Is Presto3 potty trained? I do hope so for Mr. Wonderful's sake! I haven't given it thought as to if a bird is right or left handed. That sure is interesting to know!

Thanks for joining in again this week! You sure do have a variety of animals to share with us!

Tuesdays' Show & Tail!
Angela

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

LOL, when I was a teen, my Mom worked for a Couple in Beaumont, TX. who raised Poodles and was also groomers, they owned a Parrot that's cage was in the door way or little entrance hall between the shop and the kitchen, the shop was built onto the house..every time the phone would ring, if you didn't answer it after the 2d ring the Parrot would start screaming "answer the damn phone you A--hole" needless to say, there was a lot of days he stayed under the cloth, cause he wouldn't say anything if his cage was covered.
Mr Wilburn often threaten to fry him and eat him if he said anything else. Of course it didn't scare the parrot.
Think your love bird is just so cute.
Molly

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Aren't they a pretty color?
He hee...perched on Mr. Wonderful's glasses and watches tv too?
Kooky ol' love bird!

ocmist said...

Sure looks like he loves Mr. Wonderful... looks like he's giving him a big bird hug! So cute. I, too, hope that he is potty trained for the girl's sake, too!

We had a Raven that my Dad saved when it's nest was knocked out of a tree they cut down. We had Stinker for 25 years, and he learned to talk. I know nothing about Love Birds, though he sure is pretty!

ocmist said...

Sure looks like he loves Mr. Wonderful... looks like he's giving him a big bird hug! So cute. I, too, hope that he is potty trained for the girl's sake, too!

We had a Raven that my Dad saved when it's nest was knocked out of a tree they cut down. We had Stinker for 25 years, and he learned to talk. I know nothing about Love Birds, though he sure is pretty!

The imPerfect Housewife said...

He sits on your husband's glasses and watches TV??? I am SO cracking up at that! That is definitely a "pretty bird"! ♥

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

So adorable! Hubby had a cockatoo for a while but now that we are back in school he lives with my father in law which is good because they are bff now lol He didn't talk because he was a rescue and had a rough first many years. I love birds but they kinda of scare me- ridiculous I know lol Thanks for sharing!

Together We Save said...

What a beautiful bird.... I love seeing him sit on your husbands glasses.

Anonymous said...

Birds have always intrigued me -- I find it amazing that our feathered friends actually have little personalities! Your lovebird is beautiful. Great post!

Jenna Z said...

Aww, what a cutie! My mom raised a few batches of Lovebirds when I was in middle school, baby birds are SO UGLY! They sound about like cockatiels when they talk, certainly not as good as larger parrots. Their "words" are basically whistles with the pattern of speech and a syllable or two thrown in, but fairly hard to understand. We had one that said "pretty bird".

Chatty Crone said...

Hey Bob must be really wonderful to let that bird sit on his glasses and for you to take his picture and put it on the internet! Cute. And who is that cute little girl? Sandie