Monday, February 15, 2010

Tuesdays' Show and Tail - FRIGG

It's time for Tuesdays' Show & Tail' over at Angela's West Virginia Treasures! If you have a cute story and picture of a pet, or any furry (or non-furry) friend, you are welcome to join in! Check her blog for the rules, post away - and thanks, Angela, for being our host!When I was in High School, I really looked forward to becoming a Sophomore. Freshman year was a nightmare, even at a private Girl's School. The Seniors picked on us, made us carry their books, stood over us as we were made to wash the granite stairsteps with a toothbrush - Initiation seemed to hover over us for the entire school year! UGGGGH!

Sophomore year promised adventures, and one of them was Biology class. I've always loved science, and the classroom was full of models of skeletons, vertebrae, various animals in aquariums or cages - it was a wonderful world for me when I entered that room! One day the teacher announced that we would have to go catch a frog for dissection. Each student would be responsible to bring in their own frog by a certain date. The frogs would be placed in a large tank and treated with "something" so they would feel no pain, but would be alive while we dissected them. The purpose was so we could observe the frog's heart beating. I was HORRIFIED! How could a teacher demand us to do something so cruel!!! But, it was an assignment, and I didn't want to fail, so I went looking for a frog. I finally found one.
I kept my frog in a coffee can in our basement until the appointed day. I took care of him, bringing him froggy treats daily. I named him "Frigg". Big mistake. Never name a creature you cannot keep. Frigg was a delightful little fella, always looking to be picked up! I've never posessed such a friendly and handsome frog!

One day, Frigg looked rather pale. Yep, green frogs CAN get pale! I knew he was not feeling well, and there was one week to "D-Day" to get him healthy again. I removed him from the can and put him into a larger plastic bin with sand and mud and a little "pond", each was a separate area. He got extra treats, and even fresh vegetation to snooze in if he liked.
It must have been "just what the doctor ordered" because in just a few days Frigg got healthy and happy once again! I was overjoyed, but - - what about Biology Class? I thought it over ever so carefully, and came to the conclusion that - it was pointless to have saved his life if he was only to loose it again in just one more day! I could not go through with it. So Sunday, the day before my assignment was due, I took Frigg to Highland Park and put him on the Release Program, never to see him again!

You might wonder what happened when I arrived at class, "frog-less" - Well, the teacher said "For those of you who failed to bring in a frog, you must sit in with another student who has brought in their frog, and thereby observe the beating heart...." I didn't get out of OBSERVING, but I did succeed in the capture, curing, and releasing of Frigg the Frog! RIBBIT!


LV said...

Loved your frog story. Check out my post for this Tuesday. Thanks for visiting.

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood said...

Good for you! Good for Frigg!
Cindy at Lakewood

Angela said...

You're a natural, one of a kind! Frigg sure was a lucky froggy that you let him go!

Thanks for sharing another wonderful animal story this week! You sure do have some good ones!

Tuesdays' Show & Tail!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Frigg was a good ol' frog~
green as can be.
He was lucky to go home with
a gal who is friends with me!

he hee...frog humor~great tale~

Chatty Crone said...

Way to go! Standing up for your rights and Frigg's. I didn't think you'd do it!


Barbara Jean said...

This is sooo cute!!

Love it.

Thanks for popping over for a visit now and again.
So appreciate seeing your smiling 'face'. =0))


barbara jean

The imPerfect Housewife said...

Oh oh oh oh oh - dissecting it while it was still alive?? Well, wait a minute, I guess that's what real surgery is right? Sounds like maybe those frogs weren't going to get stitched up though and sent home with some Percocet! That seriously was a great story for S&T and way to go, taking care of Frigg! ♥

Sherrie said...

I couldn't have done it either! Good for you letting Frigg go. Have a great day!

A View of My Life

Janet, said...

I wouldn't have done it either. I can't imagine cutting into a still living frog. I think we had to dissect in biology class, too, but they weren't alive!

Michelle said...

GOOD FOR YOU! I regret every dissection I ever did and would never do one again, but I don't think I would have been able to do a live dissection. Oy, that is a great story, thanks for sharing!

ocmist said...

I KNEW you wouldn't do it when I read that you had named him! You are right... never name an animal that you know has to be killed!

Your story was really great! I, too, loved Biology. It was my favorite subject because I planned to be a vet someday. We did a lot of dissections, but not any live ones. I even came in after school to work with my teacher who was taking some kind of advanced course that required dissections of a cat and a pig fetus. I was totally fascinated with the way God created the bodies of animals... Linda

Hated the smell of Formaldehyde though!