Monday, February 1, 2010

Whopper Eggs - the Great Reveal!

Last week I showed you a WHOPPER EGG that I found one day in the nest box. It was so large I had to put it in a one cup measuring cup! Some had said I had best keep a sharp eye on Mr. Wonderful - that he was slipping DUCK EGGS into that nest box to try to "early April-Fool" me! Smart bloggers - it had not even crossed my foggy brain....

Turns out that I retrieved not one, but THREE of these WHOPPERS! They are huge eggs! But yet, I don't know "Who Dunn It". But I DO know "wattsinside"! The big reveal??? Ah, yes. Drum roll please.....
I was surprised it wasn't a TRIPLE YOLKER! Our hens have laid double yolkers before, but they weren't as large as the 3 eggs I brought in last week!

Fresh Egg Facts: Eggs with a blood or a "meat spot" on the yolk are safe to consume. The tiny spots are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel while the egg is being formed. They don't indicate that the egg was fertile. The spots can easily be removed with the tip of a knife before cooking, if desired. Large quantity egg producers use mass candling methods, with "electronic spotters" to attempt to catch eggs with spots that the consumer might not care to find when he/she cracks an egg to eat, but even those modern methods cannot catch everything so occasionally a blood spot or meat spot will be found even in store-bought eggs.

And after a brief look-up of triple yolked eggs, I found this picture of a double, AND a triple yolked egg, cooked up in England, and a short blurb about it:
The eggs came from a batch labelled 'Big and British' and are believed to have been laid by a free-range hen.

Egg expert Hannah Naseem said: "We've never heard of a three yolker before. Most people think themselves lucky if they get two yolks. It's eggstraordinary!

"We reckon this must be a one in a billion coincidence."

The lucky diner was a 62-year-old father-of-two who took the photo – but didn't want to be named.

"I was absolutely gob-smacked," he said after tucking in.

A Yorkshire connoisseur of bird eggs, Tony Christopher, said: "I haven't seen a triple yolker since I was a teenager over 40 years ago.

We bought some eggs from a farm at Sandy Lane near Bradford and one of them turned out to be a three yolker. My mother was so amazed that she brought her neighbour into the house to see it. And I am not sure I ever got to eat it!"

5 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Monica, that's pretty impressive. Your hens must really love their mama. Always something interesting going on in your neck of the woods kiddo. You're so dang neat!

Angela said...

Wow! A double yolk! That's cool! It's been years since I've seen one of those. Must had been back when my parents had chickens when I was little or a teen.

Hugs,
Angela

Chatty Crone said...

You must be doing something right - would be interesting to know which one it was. Free range eggs - right there for the taking. Sandi

farmlady said...

"Eggstraordinary" is right. What are you feeding those ladies?

ocmist said...

How COOL is THAT! I remember we had a hen that laid double-yolkers. You really don't see them very often. I LOVE the yolk, so I loved getting those. The duck egg yolks are a bit to strong flavored. You've got some really healthy hens!