Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Uninvited Guests

Had an email discussion with my friend Chatty yesterday. She's been In Training for ridding her home of unwanted guests, and we commiserate together and share inside secrets! Since spring is finally here, it brings with it those uninvited, unwanted guests - ANTS! Mr. Wonderful did an amazing job of new countertop installation, but one thing we did not consider when choosing the color of it - it offers a "cloak of invisibility" not only to fingerprints, but also to ANTS!They blend in pretty darned well, so you have to make sure you are aware of any slight movement on the counter!

Chatty disclosed her secret weapon to me - whole cloves sprinkled around - easy to sweep up, and has a nice smell too. I tried her suggestion on my countertops and when the ants appeared, I could tell they were confused! They moved very slowly, lifted a leg, then 2 legs, reared up, twisted their body from side to side - clearly signs of 'ant puzzlement'. While they were in the "confused mode", I SQUISHED THEM! Heartless, aren't I??
I love all creatures but some really need to stay outside - away from my territory! In the past we've had sugar ants (or "piss ants", as they're sometimes referred to), and there are various types of ant bait on the market containing boric acid, which poisons the ants. Success has been had by sprinkling corn meal where the ants are entering your home, then the ants carry it back to their lair and feed upon it, and when they drink water, the corn meal swells and explodes them - kind of like a bomb detonating! COOL! Other means of confusing the "scouts" of the ant army would be spraying the area with white vinegar or sprinkling black pepper or cinnamon around. Some folks swear by baby powder - they sprinkle it on the outsides of cat and dog bowls because ants can't stand baby powder!

Right now, my kitchen is lightly scented with cloves, thanks to Chatty's hint! It's good to have bloggie friends!

Have a great day -

7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

IT is GREAT - FABULOUS - WONDERFUL - AWESOME - to have blog friends!

And thanks to you - I got rid of my squirrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandie

I'm with you - I love all critters, but NOT in MY house!

Angela said...

Great Post Monica!!!!! Spring and Fall are when the ants they to come into my house too! I just sprayed some ant killer around my front door in the cracks outside! I even had to move where I feed the dogs because the ants were taking over their bowls! I'll have to give the cornmeal thing a try for around the garage where I feed the dogs.

Thanks for all of the great ideas to try! I did hear that instant potato flakes will kill something if they eat the flakes and then drink water. I'm sure it should work on the ants too!

Hugs,
Angela

Carmen S. said...

UGH! They are hideously scary up close! I get them sometimes inside, but I put the ant traps for outside around the perimeter of the house every year now and it does help alot. I like the cornmeal idea:)

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Egad, ants already in Michigan?
Sheesh...with all the blooming trees, the bees are everywhere, and wasps seem to come in daily. Oh, and I had a fly in the car..but no ants so far, knock on wood. Will go to Dollar store and stock up on whole cloves though.
Thanks girls for the tip.

Old Time Cindy said...

Ants drive me crazy at this time of year! I don't like to kill anything either, but when they invade my space...time to do something!
Blessings,
Cindy

Jenna Z said...

Ugh, I HATE ants in the kitchen! We are now on summer "ant deterrent" rules, no food on the counter, no dishes on the counter or in the sink. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is Terro ant bait, a poison that they take back to the colony and it kills them all. Every time a new group makes its way in, I caulk and caulk where I see them come in and they still find a way in!

ocmist said...

I'll be willing to try ALL of those things you mentioned. Someone told me about cinnamon last year and it would work for a day or so and then they'd come back. They haven't shown up yet, but I'm sure it won't be long now... :(