For anyone who has not been a regular follower of my blog, I've started to advertise vintage statue restoration as a way to get extra income and to help people who have family heirlooms that they would like to preserve and have repaired. I like to keep as much of the original look as possible, and not add any unnecessary bright coloration to a piece - I love the "old" look of things.
A couple of months ago I was asked to "brighten up" a backdrop for a Nativity Scene at a Church I used to attend years ago. I remember looking at it as a child during services, and thinking it could look better if someone took the time to repaint it a certain way....but that's as far as it went, of course, until NOW!
The backdrop consists of 3 pieces connected by hinges. In the 2 pictures above, you can see what the outside sections looked like for at least 50 years, maybe longer. The backdrop is made of heavy cardboard that has been painted, and it is all framed with wood. I would like it to look a little more realistic, but still with that "Old Stable" appearance.
In THIS picture, you can see how much I have done today, and I've got a lot more to do. The window is not finished, and either are the stone blocks. The inside portions need to be painted, and the center where the scenery of the countryside of Bethlehem will have to be done as well. Mr. Wonderful will tighten screws and add some nails to hold things together better when I'm finished with the art work. I'll post again as I get more completed so you will be able to see how its coming along.
Christmas in June -