Thursday, July 22, 2010

Got Eggs? Got Berries?? Let's Bake!

There's something wonderful about having hens - could it be all those fresh eggs?? Mmmmmm! Something to remember: If your recipe calls for the eggs to be 'room temperature', BELIEVE IT! Most baked goods turn out better if the eggs are room temperature.

I found a neat recipe today, and I adapted it to include something I just love - BERRIES! Of course you've read my previous post about the 'not so good' Blackberries.... and you know I won't be using any of THOSE for my baking today! However, it IS Blueberry time in Michigan, and I just happened to get a quart of them at the store today. Here's my recipe adaptation:

Blueberry Muffin Doughnuts

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 c. plus 1/2 t. butter, divided
1-1/2 c. sugar, divided
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. milk
1 c. fresh blueberries
2 t. cinnamon

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon butter, 1/2 cup sugar, egg and milk. Fold in fresh blueberries. Fill 6 large greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or when muffins begin to pull away from sides of cup. Remove immediately from pan. Melt the remaining butter; roll muffins in butter. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; roll muffins in mixture. Makes 6 large muffins.

Getting "the Berries" -

10 comments:

Rose said...

all that i can say"oh! boy!"looks to delicious. thanks

Carmen S. said...

OH MY GOSH Monica, those look WONDERFUL!!!!! Is it possible to sub. frozen blueberries???

Jane said...

They look delicious!

Jane

Diann said...

Oh yum!! I have never made donuts. Can you believe that! but, not, I might just have to try!

farmlady said...

Oh Monica, these sounds so good. I will have to get some fresh blueberries at the market, on the weekend, and bake some muffins.

Thanks for the recipe.

Chatty Crone said...

Give one to hubby for his lunch and see if you get any orders. They look delicious. sandie

LV said...

I would enjoy having anything you prepared. This sounds great. I really like the plate the eggs are on too.

Angela said...

Those really look good Monica! And I do have some blueberries I bought the other day at the store! I might have to give that a try!

Hugs,
Angela

Anonymous said...

I love blueberry anything. I think I'll give this a try.

I added myself to follow your blog. The next time you visit mine you are more than welcome to become a follower, if you want to.

God bless you and your family

~Ron

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Ahh yes, nutmeg and blueberries are so good together. These really DO look delectable! Get yourself a Farmer's Market booth, sell egg, coops and these babies!