Monday, July 12, 2010

Horsin' Around on the Weekend

This past Saturday a friend of mine came over to spend the day. It was great to do some 'catching up' on each others lives. She's a farm girl from way back, and she loved seeing our hens and the chicken palace that Mr. Wonderful built. She is an animal lover too, of course, and we planned to take the horses out for a little trail ride.
It's great to have a loaner horse that has been around a few blocks - makes a beginner feel at ease with no fear of broken bones! Sandra had few reservations about standing behind this one and brushing her tail - - but click on the picture to enlarge, and look at the expression on her face! It's quite comical! A true "Kodak Moment"!After a short lesson on the workings of the steering and braking mechanisms, we were off to ride the road to the trails. There was plenty to talk about, and plenty more to see riding the State Land about a mile from my house.We must have been out for at least an hour, but what a great way to spend the day, sharing a favorite activity with a good friend! We grilled hot-dogs for lunch to have with potato salad and chips - and PLENTY of iced tea! The day was sure hot, but we were blessed with cool breezes, beautiful scenery, and NO SNAKES! I was sorry when the time came for her to leave...the day ended all too soon for me. But because of the quiet patience of her mount, Sandra may be back to ride with me again!

Happy Trails!

6 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

The no snakes line clinched it to be a most perfect day!
Don't ya' love days like that?
It's always so good to see an old buddy, and when things fall into place, boom, boom, boom....it's loverly!

farmlady said...

What a nice day with an old friend. I haven't been on a horse in years but it's always a great experience.
It's also good to be on one that is old like me.
That photo of your friend grooming the "rear end" is priceless.

Shirley said...

I bet you had a nice ride. I think you're right about Echo messing with me. But even so, you got to figure out their mind and how to get them to do something they are refusing to do. I love the whole horse mentality thing.

Angela said...

Hey Monica!

Looks like you had a wonderful time this weekend! Glad you got to spend some time with your friend! Wish I lived closer or you lived closer. We could ride my mule and your horses!

Hugs,
Angela

Chatty Crone said...

Now this is what I call a perfect day - the friend - the weather - the horse back riding. I am glad you had such a great day! sandie

Rose said...

looks like a good cowgirl and her friend.