Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thursday - ALREADY?!?

I got lost in projects this week and didn't realize till just now that it is time for Vintage Thingie Thursday! Here are my contributions and PLEASE - Check out Coloradolady for more Vintage Thingies!

It's starting to warm up outside - Got an Itchin to go Fitchin? Here's a few things that Mr. Wonderful has collected over the years that you may find interesting, even if you aren't a fisher-person!

First off, ya need a pole. This pole has a 3 part assembly, as you can see in the first photo. The thing I thought was cool is the fact that the poles are not round. They are hex-shaped. The main guide eye is pretty heavy duty, and all are made of brass. The handle looks to have been cut out to mount a reel of some sort at a later date.











If you are using minnows for bait, you need a minnow net, and that is what you see here. It's in pretty good shape, so maybe it was purchased by someone who was just getting into using artificial bait, but wanted to have a little net handy just in case he decided to use minnows again.

Lures - we have a few different kinds here. There's lures with shiny spinners on them made of stainless steel and brass with beads as an added attraction. Fish LOVE 'bling-bling', so you have to have beads and shiney stuff! One lure pictured to the left is made of wood with the original paint to make it look more real and appetizing --come ON, guys - do you really think THAT will fool a hungry fish? The barbs on those hooks are deadly-looking! When I was small and my dad took us kids out on a rental boat at Ratagan Lake, I recall getting a small hook accidentally caught in my ankle! They really BITE!

The last photo is where people got a little more realistic in what a fish is looking for as far as a small snack - the red and yellow lure is made of rubber, with a spinner and beads to capture a lazy fish's attention. It looks more real, feels more real, and the action, because it is made of a rubber material, is more real. Now THAT's a LURE!


Thanks for visiting, and please leave comments - I enjoy reading them!


16 comments:

Jan Ely said...

All I can think of is how great these would look on a necklace!!! Thanks for sharing!

Coloradolady said...

How exciting! I can not wait to show my husband this post...he asked me the other day if anyone ever posted any "man" things, I said not too often, but I reminded him of the men's shaving things posted a few months back...he nodded but this is just exactly what will thrill him!!

Great post today, especially with the weather getting better, hopefully the fish will be biting!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Great fishing collection you have there, when I look at it I see a big old fried bass or a plate full of fried perch. hummmmm
Molly

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

That's a very unusual fishing pole, with the hex sides -- guess it keeps it from rolling away from you if you have to put it down...kind of like a flat-sided pencil...

Infrared Goggles said...

Love the poles! And the lures bring back memories. I love fishing gear. As long as it doesn't "bite". We need to fish more... Do you go out with Mr. Wonderful?

Susan said...

My dad was a fisherman. He loved to catch walleyes on the Detroit River. He would follow freighter in their wake because they would churn up the fish and you get the best fishing there.

Anonymous said...

My dad was a fisherman...and one of my favorite stories to tell on my dad was when he had a lure hung in a pile of brush. He very gingerly kept creeping furthur out on an old log, trying to free the lure..and yes..in he went. I laughed myself silly..and finally, so did he. Happy VTT and have a great day.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Those are dandy items!
Way cool~
We gave 61 today in Indiana, bet you're close to that as well.
I actually enjoyed doing some raking and soaking up some sun.

Angela said...

I can't wait to go fishing! It is starting to warm up here in West Virginia!
Hugs,
Angela

Miri said...

Very interesting post...I really learned alot! Love the lures with all the crazy hooks sticking out!
Thanks for sharing.

Jeanne said...

Actually I am "Itchin to go Fitchin" everyone else likes to fish and I like to take my hand work and or a book and relax while everyone else has fun. We are lucky-living in Wisconsin-(As I am sure you are living in Michigan) to have plenty of lakes, creeks, etc to go fishing in. We have some old cane poles. Hubby cherishes them, they belonged to his Dad. Thanks for sharing and BOY DO I HAVE SPRING FEVER TODAY and just so you know what is coming tomorrow, it was in the low 60's today and high 50's tomorrow, so you should have a good weekend

Bea said...

Love the fish "bling-bling" =) What a wonderful collection your Mr. Wonderful has.

Coloradolady said...

Hello, It's me again. I was wanting to take you up on your offer to make the pattern of the dachshund embroidered pattern I posted about earlier this week. I am more than happy to pay you for your time and supplies....I will figure out later how to get this transfered onto something to make.....let me know if you still think this is do-able. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Verry interesting and sssoo informative :)

Unknown said...

Your post did give me and itchin! The weather here has been very nice temp. wise!

Roslyn said...

My almost 14yr.old GS makes his own "flies" so fishing is still a many pursuit!
Roslyn