Monday, March 29, 2010

Tuesdays' Show & Tail

It's time for Tuesdays' Show & Tail'! Please visit our host, Angela, at West Virginia Treasures! If you have a cute story and picture of a pet, or any furry (or non-furry) friend, you are welcome to join in! Check her blog for the rules, post away - and thanks, Angela, for being a great hostess!
I've posted this picture before, but for any new followers that wouldn't know, the Corgi girl shown above is "Sissy", my Gramma dog. Sissy is 15 years young, soon to be 16 this summer! That's a pretty good age for a Corgi! Sissy was "in the PINK" (even pink tinted pupils!) for her photo shoot when "Pink Baby" came to visit us from blog land last year!

Because I am on the Lakeshore Pembroke Welsh Corgi Rescue's email list, I received this message that was forwarded to all of the workers, foster homes, and the families that have adopted needful Corgis from them. I would like to share this warning with all of you, to perhaps help prevent needless surgeries or deaths of Corgis and other dogs. Please pass the message along to any dog owners you may know.

Last night at dog class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction. .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.


Thank you -

3 comments:

Mildred said...

Hi Monica, Sissy is just precious! Thank you for the important warning about safe toys.

Angela said...

Hey Monica!

Sissy is gorgeous! She doesn't look that old at all! You must be taking really good care of her!

Thanks for the warning! I just called mom to tell her to take away a stuffed animal that she just found and let her dog have.

Thanks for such an informative post and warning!

Tuesdays' Show & Tail!
Angela

Chatty Crone said...

Sissy is so sweet. Thanks for the warning and I don't think kids should have it either! YUCK!

sandie