Friday, October 29, 2010




 I haven't been blogging much as of late, but it's for a good reason - I'm happy to report that after 2 long years of being unemployed due to the economic conditions, I finally got a job!  It's only part time, but it's a job and I'm happy to have it. 

As with each situation I've ever been hired into, this is entirely different from any other job I've ever had.  This one involves customer service for a medical equipment supplier, and there's a lot to learn.  I'm familiar with many medical devices, from wheelchairs and walkers to orthotic boots and AFO's, which is a help.  But the computer system this company has is an entirely different ball of wax!  It is an older system, and upon describing it to my IT savvy son the other evening on the phone, his constant reply to everything I told him about it was "REALLY?!?!"  Come to find out, what I'm using there at the office is an old version of "DOS", with the black screen and the blinking black box to enter information into!  I was "surprised", but NOT surprised, if you know what I mean.  It's basically an 'easy' system to work with in some respects, but more difficult because of the amount of time it takes to enter customer information in SEVERAL times on SEVERAL different screens.  There are no 'drop down menus', nothing to make it more user friendly.

So as I struggle to learn each and every shortcut keystroke, every possible patient/order/physician screen, be patient, and I'll have more postings later on.  I've enjoyed finding stories and videos for Tuesday's Show & Tail, and linking up with my pal Angela for this weekly event.  I hope you have found those postings entertaining!  Right now I'm singing -
"- HI-HO - it's off to work I go -"


8 comments:

Angela said...

Hey Monica!

I love the computer with the crank and cob webs! I've worked at jobs that weren't up with the times on computer equipment. Once job I had to use a memory typewriter! lol That was interesting and that was in a law firm!

I'm so happy for you that you got a job! I'm sure once you get settled in with your job you'll be blogging more. Until then I'll wait on you girl! Love you blog and your posts!

Happy Halloween!
Angela

Carmen S. said...

Hang in there, you'll be a pro at it in no time, so happy for you ((HUGS))

Chatty Crone said...

So you are working on a dinosaur-ish computer system. Well, if anybody can do it - it's you.

I bet they will get a new system some day.

I love those witch shoes - on the left!

Well Happy Halloween.

Sandie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Hi Monica...have been wondering how your job was going for ya. Hope all is going well, and you're still able to enjoy some time at home with all the furry/feathery/hoofed kids.
All the adjustments to a new job are certainly stressful, but I agree, thank heavens for the job.
Who knew we'd be thankful for part time work, huh?

Knitty said...

Congratulations! I hope employment is contagious. I have a son and good friend in need of jobs.

Love Of Quilts said...

Glad to hear you have found a job....hope you enjoy it. Trish

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Congrats Monica on the job! Wow...DOS! That is scary...:)JP

ocmist said...

I can't BELIEVE they are still using DOS!!!!! I know that it is hard for you to learn all those shortcuts, but I know that you can do it. I'm happy for you that you found a job. My thoughts and prayers are with you!